had cut stakes - bar and grill, restaurant, and steakhouse in cottonwood and camp verdevisit our historic restaurant, bar and grill, and steakhouse in cottonwood and camp verdehomemade bread at our cottonwood steakhouse, restaurant, and Bar & Grill

About the Sutler Building

The adobe bricks in the southernmost walls of the Sutler's Store were laid in 1871. Built and briefly run by early-day Yavapai County financier Huge Richards, the Sutler's Store is the Verde Valley's oldest standing commercial building. After its construction, it remained the area's only viable mercantile business until the mid-1870s. The sutler provided items to the troops that were not available through the military, and it supplied soldiers and settlers with groceries, dry goods, mining supplies, animal feed, and even bottled water. In addition to its role as local commercial center, the Sutler's Store served as the community's only post office, telegraph station, bank, and trade, collection, and bartering agency.

Sutler’s Steakhouse, named after the original store, is now open at the location. The building, which sat vacant for some time, is owned by David and Denise Moraga. Open for lunch and dinner every day of the week, and breakfast on the weekends,  the atmosphere is very relaxing, and our big rustic but modern dining area is full of local history.

Only 15 minutes from Cottonwood, we invite you to stop in today and enjoy our great homemade bread and hand-cut steaks!



Sutler's Steakhouse on facebook
Sutler's Steakhouse on facebook